Student Review Process
Mississippi residents who fail to meet full admission standards may, as a result of review, be admitted to the fall or summer semester. The review shall involve a consideration of high school performance, ACT/SAT scores, placement testing, and special interests and skills, as well as other nonacademic factors. The review has several avenues to help students find the most successful route.
- If the initial review indicates inadequate readiness in English, reading, or mathematics, applicants may be required to participate in counseling and testing, which will be held on campus prior to the beginning of the summer session. Applicants who successfully complete the counseling and testing program may be admitted to the university, with the requirement that they participate in the yearlong Academic Support Program.
- Mississippi residents who fail to successfully complete the counseling and testing program may be admitted with the requirement that they enroll in the Summer Developmental Program. Students who successfully complete this summer program will be allowed to continue in the fall term with mandatory participation in the yearlong Academic Support Program during their freshman year.
- Students who fail to successfully complete the Summer Developmental Program will be counseled to explore other post-secondary opportunities.
- For testing information and/or view the testing schedule go to https://www.sdp.msstate.edu/accuplacer/.
Summer Developmental Program
Prospective students in the Developmental Studies program attend MSU classes in Mathematics, Reading, and English during the summer months as well as a yearlong academic support laboratory. They receive training in study skills and receive counseling to enhance their ability to succeed at MSU. Developmental courses taken during the Summer Developmental Program are remedial and neither count toward a degree, nor are computed in a student's grade point average.
- Information about the Summer Developmental Program can viewed at https://www.sdp.msstate.edu/.
Yearlong Academic Support Program
This program is designed to assist students who successfully complete the Summer Developmental Program, as well as other students, with their freshman courses. The Academic Support Program staff includes special tutors in mathematics, science, reading, and writing, as well as career counselors. The goal of this program is to provide individualized support for marginally prepared students who are enrolled in regular academic credit courses.
- Information about the Yearlong Academic Support Program can be viewed at https://www.sdp.msstate.edu/policies/.