To be accepted into the freshmen class at Mississippi State University, students must satisfactorily complete the following College Preparatory Curriculum (CPC) with an appropriate core grade-point average:
- English -- 4 units, all requiring substantial communication skills components.
- Mathematics -- 3 units: Algebra I, Algebra II, and Geometry. (Algebra I taken in the 8th grade will be accepted for admission provided the course content is the same as the high school course.)
- Natural Science -- 3 units chosen from Biology, Advanced Biology, Chemistry, Advanced Chemistry, Physical Science, Physics, Advanced Physics, or another science course of comparable rigor. (Two science units must be laboratory based.)
- Social Studies -- 3 units, including U.S. History, World History (substantial Geography component), Government (1/2 unit), and Economics (1/2 unit) or Geography (1/2 unit).
- Advanced Electives -- 2 units chosen from Foreign Language, World Geography, 4th-year laboratory-based Science, and 4th-year Mathematics. One of the units must be Foreign Language or World Geography. (Foreign Language taken in the 8th grade will be accepted for admission provided the course content is the same as the high school course.)
- Computer -- 1/2 unit: computer as a productivity tool, not as a keyboarding device
Pre-high School Units - Algebra I, or first year Foreign Language, or Mississippi Studies taken prior to high school will be accepted for admission provided the course content is the same as the high school course.