Admission to the university is required for all scholarships. To be considered for competitive, leadership and service, and private scholarships, the general scholarship application must be submitted.
Please note that our scholarship program is reviewed each year and is subject to change. The information provided below is for the 2018-2019 academic year. All scholarships are awarded on a funds-available basis.
Departmental and College Scholarships
- Departments and colleges within the university administer their own departmental scholarship programs. Students who have chosen a major are encouraged to contact the department in their major areas of study regarding scholarship opportunities.
- Center for Distance Education
- College of Architecture, Art & Design
- College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- College of Arts and Sciences
- College of Business
- College of Education
- Bagley College of Engineering
- College of Vet Med
- College of Forest Resources
Noyce STEM Teacher Scholarship
- Priority Date: March 1
- Award: Undergraduate recipients will receive up to $10,000, and Graduate recipients will receive up to $15,000 for each scholarship year.
Performance and Service Scholarships
- ROTC, art, music, chorus, band, cheerleading, and pom squad offer scholarships or waivers. Amounts vary and may include non-resident tuition awards. An audition or portfolio showing may be required. Contact the appropriate department or program for more information.
Privately Funded Awards
- Privately funded awards, such as alumni chapter scholarships, are awarded to select students to receive one-year awards based on outstanding leadership and academic records. List of Available Privately Funded Awards (PDF)
Mississippi State University Foundation oversees nearly 1,600 privately-funded scholarships housed in our various academic colleges and departments. You can maximize your consideration for these awards by completing your general scholarship application, as well as any applications recommended to you within our online scholarship portal found in your MyState portal.
Many of our Alumni Association's local chapters provide scholarship to students from their local communities. For consideration for these awards, please complete your general scholarship application. If you have any questions, please contact your Admissions Counselor.
- Application Deadline:
Fall: September 15
Spring: November 15
- Sumners will only be awarded to undergraduate students enrolled in a minimum of 12 semester hours and graduate students enrolled in a minimum of 9 semester hours
- Maximum award for undergraduates is 8 semesters; graduates is 4 semesters
- Sumner awards will be $2,500 per year ($1,250/sem) beginning Fall 2012
- Sumners will not be awarded for the summer term
- Must be a permanent resident of Attala, Carroll, Choctaw, Montgomery, or Webster counties in Mississippi
- Must submit a Sumners application by the appropriate deadline to be approved by the E.H. Sumners Foundation
- Applications must be submitted annually
- Submission of the General Scholarship Application
- The Sumners Scholarship Application can be found at www.sumnersgrant.com. Please select MSU and submit your application.
Veteran, Service-Member, Dependent, Spouse, Non-Resident Tuition Waiver
- Award: The difference between resident and non-resident tuition is waived for veterans, active duty service members and their dependents.
- The veteran, service member, and dependent shall complete and submit the following documentation:
- The Veteran, Service Member, Dependent Non-Resident Tuition Waiver Request PDF here.
- Enclose veteran/service member's DD214 or NGB22 or
- Other documentation such as:
- *Military ID Card
- *Active Duty Orders
- *Dependency verification documentation