Why Attend MSU?
- 16:1 student to faculty ratio
- Nearly 80 undergraduate majors
- 22 pre-professional programs
- Average first-time freshman GPA for Fall 2020: 3.83
- Average first-time freshman ACT score for Fall 2020: 26
- Average first-time freshman SAT score for Fall 2020: 1230
- Top 100 Research Institution ranked by the National Science Foundation, which means lots of opportunities for hands-on learning even for undergraduates!
- #1 in the SEC in social science research expenditures (for eight consecutive years) according to the National Science Foundation
- Top 15 in the nation in agricultural science research according to the National Science Foundation
- Mississippi State is in a select group of universities designated as Land, Sea and Space-Grant institutions.
- 1,800+ Shackouls Honors College students in Fall 2019
- At MSU’s Career Day events, hundreds of potential employers recruit for co-op, internship and full-time positions.
- Our Academic and Career Planning Class, the Strong Interest Inventory and our Career Center can help students discover exciting career paths.
- The Career Center’s Resume Writing & Review service and Mock Interviews help students prepare for the next step.
- The E-Center works with 120 new startups annually. In the last five years, several of these companies have together raised nearly $4 million to help students step into a job they created.
Community and Student Life
- 22,986 students across all campuses and classifications
- 4,200-acre campus, founded in 1878
- Small-town feel with big SEC excitement in Starkville, Mississippi!
- 15+ furnished residence halls – 7 of which have private baths constructed since 2005
- 20+ dining options on campus, including Chick-fil-A, The Fresh Food Company, The Marketplace at Perry, and Provisions on Demand (PODs)
- 400+ student organizations – from Fraternity and Sorority life and intramurals to improv comedy and eSports
Southeastern Conference Sports
- 8 varsity women’s teams
- 6 varsity men’s teams
- Cheer the Diamond Dawgs on to another College World Series appearance (11 and counting!) in the country’s premier college baseball stadium, “The Dude.”
- Next trivia night, if you are asked who broke UConn women’s basketball 111-game winning streak – the answer is Mississippi State in the 2017 Final Four!
- In the 2020 season, our football team scored its 11th straight bowl game.
- The Bulldogs swept the podium and 1st, 2nd and 3rd in Javelin at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships.